The Master of Business Administration is the premier, and most popular, business postgraduate business degree. It is an educational in character, because it is awarded by universities but it stresses on practical aspects of management.
MBA programs normally cover a wide range of courses in the program's first year, then concentrate on a specialized curriculum in the second year. Specializations include: accounting; economics; Entrepreneurship; finance; IT; e-Governance; business; operations management; organizational behavior; marketing; real estate; and strategy etc.
In Sri Lanka, Management faculties of National Universities run a variety of MBA programs. In addition, foreign accredited institutions offer MBA degrees. Today, MBA and Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degrees can be even obtained through on-line, distance learning or e-learning.
Following are some of the major MBA programs offered by universities.
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Two-Year : MBA. Can specialize in Human Resource management, Information Systems, Operations Management, Marketing, Business Economics, Accounting and Finance. Approx Cost Rs 250,000
- Master of Science (MSc) in Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MBA (Human Resource management)
- MBA (Information Systems)
- MBA (Operations Management)
- MBA (Marketing)
- MBA (Business Economics)
- MBA (Accounting)
- MBA (Finance
Get the details of MBA and Phd Programs offered by University of Sri Jayewardnepura
Postgraduate Institute of Management (PIM)
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Two-Year : MBA · MBA in Finance and Banking · MBA in HR Management. Approx Cost Rs 350,000
Visit PIM website: https://www.pim.sjp.ac.lk/index.php/master-of-business-administration/
University of Colombo
Faculty of Management & Finance, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka
Two-Year : MBA in Marketing, Finance and Human Resource Management. Approx cost Rs 300,000
This program is ranked as one of the top 10 Executive MBA Programs in Asia by ehow.com web site.
- MBA (General) | MBA in Accounting & Information Management
- MBA in Finance | MBA in HRM | MBA in Marketing
University of Peradeniya
Two-Year : MBA. Aprox cost Rs 80,000 plus library fees etc.
MBA, DBA and PhD in Business Administration degrees are also offered by Post-graduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya
University of Kelaniya
Faculty of Commerce and Management Studies
Two-Year : MBA
University of Moratuwa
Two-Year : MBA in Information Technology (IT), e-Governance. Approx cost Rs 300,000
Cost given here are those published by web sites of the MBA programs, but please refer to their official web sites for correct figures.
Foreign MBA Programs offered by Private Higher Educational Institutes
University of Wales MBA at IIHE
Edith Cowan University, Australia MBA at ACBT
Staffordshire University, UK MBA at APIIT
Cardiff Metropolitan University, UK MBA at ICBT
Management & Science University. Malaysia MBA at MSU
University of Wolverhampton, UK MBA at BCAS
Cardiff Metropolitan University – UK MBA at British School of Commerce
Australian Institute of Business Administration MBA at Oxford College of Business
Admission Requirements for MBA in Sri Lanka
Admission requirements for MBA varies with different programs.
Following are qualifications needed for MBA program at University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a class
- Bachelor’s Degree with three years’ experience.
- Postgraduate Diploma
- One of the following professional qualifications with three years’ experience.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants (ACA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Association of Chartered & Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) UK- Diploma, Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB) UK- Diploma, Chartered Institute of Bankers (AIB) Sri Lanka – Diploma, Institution of Engineers (CIE) UK /Sri Lanka – Associate member or above, Ceylon Technical College – Higher National Diploma in Accountancy (HNDA) (Four Year Course), Ceylon Technical College – Higher National Diploma in Management/ Commerce (HNDM/C) (Four Year Course), Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators – Member, Attorney – at – Law
- One of the following professional qualifications with five years’ post-qualifying relevant experience.- Diploma in Marketing awarded by the Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing (SLIM), Professional qualification in Human Resource Management from the Institute of Personnel Management.
List of MBA Degree awarding Institutes in Sri Lanka
(updated 2012 April)
|Awarding Institute||Local Institute||Contact No|
|University ofSri Jayewardenaura||PIM||011-2689639|
|University of Sri Jayewardenepura||Management Faculty||011 4003055|
|University ofColombo||Commerce & Mgt Fac||011-2581835|
|University of Wales-UK||IIHE||011-2598772|
|Edith Cowan University-Australia||ACBT||011-2565511|
|Cardiff Metropolitan University-UK||ICBT||011-4210021|
|Management & Science University-Malaysia||MSU||011-2576900|
- Online degrees in Sri Lanka
- External degrees in Sri Lanka
- CIMA - a quick guide
- Educational Loans by Sri Lankan banks