Subject Combinations for A/L Arts Students

Courses, Schools 175 39092

For GCE Advanced Level examination, you can select three (3) subjects from within four (4) main subject streams namely Arts, Commerce, Biological Science or Physical Science. You also have to sit for General English and Common General Test for their A/L examination, but results of these papers are not considered for University entrance. But those results will also be included in the A/L exam results sheet.

Subjects available for A/L Arts Stream

Art stream is the most popular subject area among the Sri Lankan students. You have more than twenty five (25) subjects in four different subject areas (Social Sciences, Religious and Civilization, Aesthetics and Languages) for the A/L in Art steam.

As an art student you can select subjects from any one of the following areas.

Social Science Subjects

At least one subject from Social Science (Economics, Geography, History (Sri Lankan history and Indian history or European history or World history), Home Economics, Political Sciences, Logic and Scientific method, Accounting or Business Statistics, Agriculture or mathematics, One subject from Technological studies (Civil/Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic and information Technology or Food technology or Agro technology or Bio-Resource Technology), Communication and Mass media, Information and Communicational Technology) you should select. This statement is not valid for those who are following two or three language subjects. If you wish you can select your all three subjects among this Social Science category.

Religious and Civilizational Subjects

Buddhism or Buddhist Civilization, Christianity or Christian Culture, Hinduism or Hindu Civilization, Islam or Islam Civilization and Greek & Roman Civilization are the subjects available in this category. If you select one religious subject from this category, then you cannot select its civilizational subjects. For example, If f you select Buddhism, you cannot select Buddhist civilization

Aesthetic Subjects

Art, Dancing (Sri Lankan or Indian), Music (Oriental Music or Carnatic or Western) and Drama and Theatre (Sinhala, English or Tamil) are the subjects offered in this category. From these aesthetic subjects you can select one or two subjects you prefer.

Language Subjects

The new Educational Reforms have encouraged the students to learn International Languages. Language subjects are offered in three different categories. First as National languages (Sinhala,Tamil,English), Classical Languages (Arabic, Pali, Sanskrit) and Foreign Languages(Chinese, Malay, French, Russian, Hindi, Japanese). You can select one or two language subjects from above list and if you want to study three languages for your A/L, the selection should be as follows.

• Sinhala,Tamil,English
  • Any three subjects representing National languages and Classical Languages

For example you can select Sinhala, Pali and Sanskrit

If you select two language subjects, you will be able to select one subject from Social Sciences /Religious and Civilizational /aesthetic as your third subject. For example you can select English, Japaneese and Electronic and information Technology.

However some subjects may not be available at your school. Having better understanding on available courses in national Universities will be an added advantage for selecting a subject combination. As vast array of subjects are available, you can take up innovative and novel subject combinations in keeping with worldwide trends. For example you can select a combination with Mathematics, IT and Economics.

You may also like to read:

Subject Options for GCE A/L
2013 A/L Tuition classes for students after O/L
Courses you can do after Advanced Level
A/L Syllabuses

Comments

comments

1. chamantha yapabandara May 13, 2016 at 10:28 am -  Reply

Sri what are the most valuable subjects in art stream?

2. inshaf May 6, 2016 at 8:34 am -  Reply

Dear sir

i want to know .can i choice A/L subjct econamics ,bussnis study and history.plez tall me what kind of job i can find

3. Damithri April 27, 2016 at 5:38 pm -  Reply

I am planning to do my advanced level in the arts srteam. Will I be able to do Maths , Economics and statistics?

4. Anjalie April 7, 2016 at 11:17 pm -  Reply

Dear madam/sir,I did my O/L in English medium.now I want to do my A/L selecting languages…so I just wanted to know what are the subjects that are having high z scores.plz help me..

5. rushini April 7, 2016 at 9:13 pm -  Reply

sir,,
    I hope to do al in art stream.I bc selected japanese,icy & media…so what are the professional jobs I can do??? can I hv to do this subject and selected to university….pls rply me soon as possible

6. thilini mendis March 31, 2016 at 12:13 pm -  Reply

MAGE O/L WALA GANITHAYA; ENGLISH FAILE MAMA KARANNA INNEA A/L ART MATA KARANNA PULUWAN LEASI VISHAYAN MONAWADA KARUNAKARA UDAW KARANNA

7. Zahra March 30, 2016 at 6:41 pm -  Reply

Dear madam/Sir
    Can I do Geography,Econamic and Agriculture for my A/L in arts stream?? How is my subject combination?? I want to enter for collage/university so pls help me in my case
    I am waiting for the reply??

8. maleesha March 30, 2016 at 5:07 pm -  Reply

dear sir/madam., mama A/L kalaa anshayen karanna balaaporottu wenawa…geography haa BC ekka karanna puluwan zscore eka wedi tawa subject ekak thoraa ewanna…ikman pilithuru balaaporottu vemi…

9. g.m.g kaushalya muhandiram March 28, 2016 at 11:29 am -  Reply

Sir,madam
    Mama kala vishaya darawa yatathe a/l karanna balaporoththu wenawa,mata Mae vishayan thoraganna puluwanda kiyala Dana ganna oni.language-
    French, Japanese, economic, IT
    Ekman pilithurak balaporoththu wemi.

10. Zumana March 26, 2016 at 11:39 am -  Reply

Sir/madam
    I have failed in maths for the o/l exam. Can i do art for a/l without pass maths..pls reply me..

11. SaduniTharakaDeMel March 24, 2016 at 2:44 pm -  Reply

dr sir/madam ,
    i like do art strem. so can i do political science,logic, bio resource technology or sinhala. plzz plz……… riply me my gmail address. tharakademel1999@gmail.com. i think you help me. sent a riply as soon as possible…….

12. Rashmi March 22, 2016 at 9:54 am -  Reply

Sir,
    Mata oni A/L walata commerce ekka main subject ekak widiyata IT karanna ethakota mn anith subject deka widiyata karanna oni monawada

13. Dhanusha February 27, 2016 at 12:45 pm -  Reply

Dear sir ,
    I did my O/L s in English medium. Now I want to select commerce stream for my A/L s. Can I do it as a privet candidate? A/L s for the first time as a privet candidate in commerce. Can I?

14. Tharushi February 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm -  Reply

Sir,
    I did my O/L exams in English medium..I did my studies in English medium from grade one. Now I have to face the A level exams in sinhala medium as there are no English medium teachers in my area. I have selectes arts stream as I want to be a lawyer and I have selected logic and English literature I want help from you to select another subject

15. shaheera February 5, 2016 at 5:48 pm -  Reply

dear sir/madam,
    i want to go entrance to campus/college. so what subject are help me to pass easily? what are the subject? .. which subjects i can go classes. i will expect your reply soon. mail me thnx…

16. shaheera February 5, 2016 at 5:44 pm -  Reply

sir/madam i want to do a/l in languages. may i know what are the suitable subjects? can you help me. please email me: shaheerafathima24@yahoo.com

17. Kumari February 1, 2016 at 11:20 am -  Reply

sir/madam, mama A/L Art subject kara 2008. Result > B1,C1,S1 .O/L English “C” Pass tianne secendshy. mata Low karanna apply karanna puluwanda.plz help me.

18. Rasna January 20, 2016 at 9:14 am -  Reply

Sir, I am doing Bio Stream A-level in 2017 as a private candidate for the 1st time. If I took good results, will I get local university to study medical? what should I do? And is G.I.T and G.E compulsory?

19. mithila January 15, 2016 at 2:55 pm -  Reply

sir / madam
    I have
    A (english, buddhism)
    B (geography, sinhala)
    C( mathematics,history,science @ it)
    S for eng.literature
    I did maths, science,history in english.
    I did combined maths for a/l.but i have only s pass for physics.
    now i want to do a/l in arts.i have no idea to select arts subjects.
    can’t i do language now.this is my 3rd shay.please reply soon.

20. danushika January 14, 2016 at 9:47 am -  Reply

Dear sir,
    mama 2012 o/l Kare. Mata 2017 a/l karanta one. Mama kohomada private apply karanne? Please sir reply me.

• shaya January 27, 2016 at 7:25 pm -  Reply

Hello, man 2017 a/l karanna inne. Eth man kemathi school eken ain wela privte apply karala exam eka karanna Mata mea sambanden kawru hari dannawanam Mata reply karanna. I need a help.. Plz

21. mishela January 11, 2016 at 9:00 am -  Reply

Hello sir
    can i do POLITICAL SCIENCE, COMMUNICATION AND MASS MEDIA & SINHALA

22. Mathura January 10, 2016 at 11:51 am -  Reply

Dear sir.
    I want to become a lawyer so what are the subjects I want to take ?
    Can I take English as one of main 3 subjects.. I kindly request you
    Please reply to me

23. Ushandi Rukshika January 6, 2016 at 8:58 pm -  Reply

Hi sir,
    low faculty yanna Logic,English LIt,ART karama yanna puluwanda
    please sir reply me I’m in a big mess.
    reply me: ushandirukshika@gmail.com

24. Tharuka January 5, 2016 at 9:09 pm -  Reply

What are the courses degrees, diplomas that I can follow after doing A/Ls with combined maths, physics and media. Please reply as soon as possible

25. Rasangika January 5, 2016 at 5:43 pm -  Reply

dear sir,
    Can I do ICT, communication & mass media and french for my AL?

1 4 5 6