Subject Combinations for A/L Arts Students

Courses, Schools 139 17989

For GCE Advanced Level examination, you can select three (3) subjects from within four (4) main subject streams namely Arts, Commerce, Biological Science or Physical Science. You also have to sit for General English and Common General Test for their A/L examination, but results of these papers are not considered for University entrance. But those results will also be included in the A/L exam results sheet.

Subjects available for A/L Arts Stream

Art stream is the most popular subject area among the Sri Lankan students. You have more than twenty five (25) subjects in four different subject areas (Social Sciences, Religious and Civilization, Aesthetics and Languages) for the A/L in Art steam.

As an art student you can select subjects from any one of the following areas.

Social Science Subjects

At least one subject from Social Science (Economics, Geography, History (Sri Lankan history and Indian history or European history or World history), Home Economics, Political Sciences, Logic and Scientific method, Accounting or Business Statistics, Agriculture or mathematics, One subject from Technological studies (Civil/Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic and information Technology or Food technology or Agro technology or Bio-Resource Technology), Communication and Mass media, Information and Communicational Technology) you should select. This statement is not valid for those who are following two or three language subjects. If you wish you can select your all three subjects among this Social Science category.

Religious and Civilizational Subjects

Buddhism or Buddhist Civilization, Christianity or Christian Culture, Hinduism or Hindu Civilization, Islam or Islam Civilization and Greek & Roman Civilization are the subjects available in this category. If you select one religious subject from this category, then you cannot select its civilizational subjects. For example, If f you select Buddhism, you cannot select Buddhist civilization

Aesthetic Subjects

Art, Dancing (Sri Lankan or Indian), Music (Oriental Music or Carnatic or Western) and Drama and Theatre (Sinhala, English or Tamil) are the subjects offered in this category. From these aesthetic subjects you can select one or two subjects you prefer.

Language Subjects

The new Educational Reforms have encouraged the students to learn International Languages. Language subjects are offered in three different categories. First as National languages (Sinhala,Tamil,English), Classical Languages (Arabic, Pali, Sanskrit) and Foreign Languages(Chinese, Malay, French, Russian, Hindi, Japanese). You can select one or two language subjects from above list and if you want to study three languages for your A/L, the selection should be as follows.

• Sinhala,Tamil,English
  • Any three subjects representing National languages and Classical Languages

For example you can select Sinhala, Pali and Sanskrit

If you select two language subjects, you will be able to select one subject from Social Sciences /Religious and Civilizational /aesthetic as your third subject. For example you can select English, Japaneese and Electronic and information Technology.

However some subjects may not be available at your school. Having better understanding on available courses in national Universities will be an added advantage for selecting a subject combination. As vast array of subjects are available, you can take up innovative and novel subject combinations in keeping with worldwide trends. For example you can select a combination with Mathematics, IT and Economics.

You may also like to read:

Subject Options for GCE A/L
2013 A/L Tuition classes for students after O/L
Courses you can do after Advanced Level
A/L Syllabuses

Click here to submit your review.

Submit your review
* Required Field

Comments

comments

1. CHAMATH EGODAGE August 2, 2015 at 10:47 pm -  Reply

Can I follow BC, PS,HISTORY,

2. Anura August 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm -  Reply

Can i do folowing subjet combination biology agrisciance and agritechnology

• Hiran August 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm -  Reply

3. S. Ranasinghe July 30, 2015 at 12:28 pm -  Reply

can i do English Lit, French and GRC for A/L

4. Fazil June 27, 2015 at 8:39 am -  Reply

What are the subjects that i can take instead of accounting?? The other two subjects that i am doing is Business studies and ICT plzzzz reply me soon

5. vidanage June 25, 2015 at 12:20 pm -  Reply

where can I get online Accounting degree foreign or local ?

6. kanchana June 1, 2015 at 11:48 am -  Reply

dear sir ,i have done A/L IN 1998 AND now i want to become a lawyer.But my Qualifications are 3 C pass.i have studied 4 subjects in A/L Exam.I cant to sit law entrance exam.what can i do for this matter

7. Mranga June 1, 2015 at 12:36 am -  Reply

I sat for the A/L exam in 2005 and failed to get passes for the all three subjects. I’m 29 years old now, can I sit for the exam again as a private candidate? Is there an age limit to apply?

8. shelani May 13, 2015 at 2:03 pm -  Reply

Could you please tell me that can I select Accounts,Econ and English .
    Looking forward for a favorable response because I have to change my school if these subjects can do.

9. kensambo@gmail.com May 1, 2015 at 3:17 pm -  Reply

Can a combination of English Literature, ., Communication and Mass Media, and Information and Communication Technology as a School Candidate in the English Medium be offered at the G.C.E.A/Level Examination in 2017 ?

10. supun fernando April 23, 2015 at 10:52 am -  Reply

dear sir

i m hoping to do arts for my al and i have done my ol in english.and sir i m just asking u that how many of these subjects are in english.

sir plz do rply cz i do not got much time left to pick another sub.

11. Caroline Christoffelsz April 19, 2015 at 12:48 pm -  Reply

I like to do Journalism & also be an Author/writer in Enlgish. Sir, what subjects would you advice me to follow in order to gain entrance to university.
    Can I choose English Litrature, French, Christianity ??? And what is the other subject Sir ??

12. Sanduni April 5, 2015 at 9:42 am -  Reply

Sir. Can I do English.political science and ecorn

13. Prince Rohana April 4, 2015 at 6:28 pm -  Reply

Dear Sir,

Can I do A/L French subject for 2017, as I got “W” for O/L French at 2014.

14. Malshani Dissanayake April 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm -  Reply

Can i study Geography,History,Econ

15. nehara March 31, 2015 at 5:11 pm -  Reply

Can i do chinese and english lit

16. Devindi March 23, 2015 at 10:56 am -  Reply

Dear Sir,
    I am 18 years old. Can I do my A/Ls for the first time as a private candidate without applying through the school.

1 3 4 5