Subject Combinations for A/L Arts Students

Courses, Schools 115 8313

For GCE Advanced Level examination, you can select three (3) subjects from within four (4) main subject streams namely Arts, Commerce, Biological Science or Physical Science. You also have to sit for General English and Common General Test for their A/L examination, but results of these papers are not considered for University entrance. But those results will also be included in the A/L exam results sheet.

Subjects available for A/L Arts Stream

Art stream is the most popular subject area among the Sri Lankan students. You have more than twenty five (25) subjects in four different subject areas (Social Sciences, Religious and Civilization, Aesthetics and Languages) for the A/L in Art steam.

As an art student you can select subjects from any one of the following areas.

Social Science Subjects

At least one subject from Social Science (Economics, Geography, History (Sri Lankan history and Indian history or European history or World history), Home Economics, Political Sciences, Logic and Scientific method, Accounting or Business Statistics, Agriculture or mathematics, One subject from Technological studies (Civil/Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic and information Technology or Food technology or Agro technology or Bio-Resource Technology), Communication and Mass media, Information and Communicational Technology) you should select. This statement is not valid for those who are following two or three language subjects. If you wish you can select your all three subjects among this Social Science category.

Religious and Civilizational Subjects

Buddhism or Buddhist Civilization, Christianity or Christian Culture, Hinduism or Hindu Civilization, Islam or Islam Civilization and Greek & Roman Civilization are the subjects available in this category. If you select one religious subject from this category, then you cannot select its civilizational subjects. For example, If f you select Buddhism, you cannot select Buddhist civilization

Aesthetic Subjects

Art, Dancing (Sri Lankan or Indian), Music (Oriental Music or Carnatic or Western) and Drama and Theatre (Sinhala, English or Tamil) are the subjects offered in this category. From these aesthetic subjects you can select one or two subjects you prefer.

Language Subjects

The new Educational Reforms have encouraged the students to learn International Languages. Language subjects are offered in three different categories. First as National languages (Sinhala,Tamil,English), Classical Languages (Arabic, Pali, Sanskrit) and Foreign Languages(Chinese, Malay, French, Russian, Hindi, Japanese). You can select one or two language subjects from above list and if you want to study three languages for your A/L, the selection should be as follows.

• Sinhala,Tamil,English
  • Any three subjects representing National languages and Classical Languages

For example you can select Sinhala, Pali and Sanskrit

If you select two language subjects, you will be able to select one subject from Social Sciences /Religious and Civilizational /aesthetic as your third subject. For example you can select English, Japaneese and Electronic and information Technology.

However some subjects may not be available at your school. Having better understanding on available courses in national Universities will be an added advantage for selecting a subject combination. As vast array of subjects are available, you can take up innovative and novel subject combinations in keeping with worldwide trends. For example you can select a combination with Mathematics, IT and Economics.

You may also like to read:

Subject Options for GCE A/L
2013 A/L Tuition classes for students after O/L
Courses you can do after Advanced Level
A/L Syllabuses

Comments

comments

Thilak Chandrathilake

1. disney February 25, 2015 at 4:17 pm -  Reply

where can get the A/L Electrical/Electronic and information Technology subject modules

2. Hasanka February 20, 2015 at 10:10 am -  Reply

I did bio two times, and hoping to do arts this time if i don’t get selected, can I do logic, english literature and greec rome civilization?

3. Alya February 16, 2015 at 7:25 am -  Reply

Japanease , IT, English is this good combination

4. najla February 11, 2015 at 11:36 pm -  Reply

Tel me plz sir
    can i do arabic,tamil and islam

5. Reshani February 1, 2015 at 11:26 am -  Reply

Sir, can I do English literature ,with sinhala and tamil

6. Ummu reeha January 26, 2015 at 9:23 pm -  Reply

Sir can I do islam in english medium this year,which subject will be easy to study in short period,history or economics? my other subjects are islam and arabic. what is the procedure to apply AL privately??pls reply me.

7. kaushi January 26, 2015 at 11:00 am -  Reply

Dear sir,

Can i do English lit, Sinhala and political science as my subjects?.And am going to face for the exam as a private candidate.

8. Chandana January 22, 2015 at 11:15 am -  Reply

Dear Sir,

Is it possible to study 2 social science subjects with English Literature

9. Sanuki January 18, 2015 at 11:33 am -  Reply

sir, what about the z scores of G.R.C,,,,, is it high or low..

10. Maduranga sadaruwan January 17, 2015 at 1:35 pm -  Reply

Dear Sir
    I want to know this, can i do geography, ICT, and sinhala or english subjects for A/L Art stream…please answer me sir.

11. Tharu Nirmani January 14, 2015 at 1:54 pm -  Reply

I would be very grateful sir if you let me know the fields and careers I can pursue if I chose English Literature, french and Mathematics. I am in such a mess right now that it would mean a lot of you can provide me some guidance.
    Thank you very much.

• Hiran
      Hiran January 14, 2015 at 7:07 pm -  Reply

You cannot do this combination. Select Logic, Policical Science like non language subject as the third subject with English Literature and French

• Tharu Nirmani January 15, 2015 at 3:11 pm -

Thank you so much sir. I just wanted to do maths since I have an aim to get a scholarship to the states and someone said that I need a maths background. Is French, Literature and Economics good? Then ho can I keep up with maths sir? I’m sorry for being a nuisance.

12. M. Shamil Arifeen January 14, 2015 at 11:59 am -  Reply

Dear Sir, I want to do English, Islam and Political Sciences for my A/Ls. Is it a good subect combination ? I kindly await your reply. Thank you sir.

• Hiran
      Hiran January 14, 2015 at 7:04 pm -  Reply

Yes you can do English, Islam and Political Sciences for A/L

13. sathyangi silya January 2, 2015 at 11:49 pm -  Reply

Dear sir , I’m hoping to do A/L in Arts stream…I’m hoping to do MEDIA, FRENCH, ENGLISH LITERATURE……is it a good combination? plz let me know it …
    Thank you!!! God bless you!!!

14. SITHMI January 2, 2015 at 12:21 pm -  Reply

dear sir , i hope to choose languages as my stream.can I do English,french and ICT for A/Ls?please be kind enough to email me about that.Thank you!

15. randima December 30, 2014 at 12:01 pm -  Reply

please sir mta kiyanna law college yanna a/l art walin mona subjects da thoraganna ona kiyala?
    a/l art wala thiyana maths karama law college yanna puluwanda?If not a/l maths karama yanna puluwan feilds monawada? please give me a answer.thank you.

16. sandun December 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm -  Reply

Dear sir,
    Can i do ict, communication & media , Buddhist civilisation as art stream subject. Looking forward reply ASAP.
    If not please mentioned subjects which are compatible with ict and communication and media. Thank you

17. anadhan December 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm -  Reply

Dear sir
    can i do drama & theatre, history & hindusiam please answer me sir i will be very thankful to you

18. prabhath sanjeewa December 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm -  Reply

Dear sir can i do geogrophy, drama and music for a/l next year. I did geogrophy,drama and econ. But i want to do
    Music. I did drama in o\l and i got A for that. But i didnt do music for o\l. Please help me sir.

19. Fahim October 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm -  Reply

Sir pleas civil tecnology past peper

20. HANNAH September 18, 2014 at 11:26 am -  Reply

Dear sir, where can I find A/L Agro technology syllabus, Teachers’ Instruction Manual and Model papers. Please let me know. Thank you!

21. Amila Malsha September 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm -  Reply

Dear sir

can I do English ,It & Mathematics as my subjects .. I want to know further where I can apply if Im applying private

1 2 3 4