Micro-credentials -Globally accepted online courses to improve your knowledge and skills
Many students follow courses while studying to improve their chance of Employability or to learn/ improve a skill.
Covid-19 has changed how we learn and teach (+ve and -ve impacts)
- • Switched scheduled courses online/ online exams
- • Digital events/ webinars like this
- • Reduction of parent income/ additional cost of devices/ data
- • Health issues/ Covid infection/ hospitalization/ death of family members
- • Less international students for universities in the developed world (Changegovernment policies to attract students e.g. Sinopharm in Australia )
ADB study on Sri Lankan online learning - findings based on a survey among state and non state HEIs
- 90% of students had access online education. This rate is comparable to developed countries like Japan
- Poor internet connections disrupted online education
- HEIs need to revisit curriculums, pedagogy, online
What is a micro-credential? EU, 2020 definition
“A micro-credential is a recognized proof of the learning outcomes that a learner has achieved following a short learning experience, according to transparent standards and requirements and upon assessment.”
Micro-credentials differ from traditional degrees and certificates in that they are generally offered in shorter or more flexible timespans and tend to be more narrowly focused.
Key characteristics of micro-credentials:
- Measure the demonstration of skill and knowledge, not time spent learning.
- •Short and focused on a narrow range of skills and competencies. Break down learning into manageable chunks.
- •Competency is assessed as a demonstrable skill or behavior.
- •Quality is assured through peer and industry review.
- •Industry recognized. Many micro-credentials are co-developed with industry based onthe skills and competencies they’re looking for.
- Can be Personalized to meet individual learners’ needs.
- •Modular and stackable. Some micro-credentials are “one off”, while others are modules that can be stacked to create a qualification.
- •Shareable. The qualification is placed in a digital wallet or e-portfolio the learner can share with employers or education institutions.
Micro-credentials – Globally accepted online courses to improve your knowledge and skills
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) providers
- • Coursera - where micro-credentials are known as Specializations, MasterTrack Certificates, Professional Certificates
- • Udacity - micro-credentials are known as nanodegrees
- • edX - micro-credentials are known as MicroMasters
- • A comprehensive listing of MOOC-based micro-credentials is maintained by Class Central
Recent trends in Sri Lanka
- Private HEIs, Government Loan schemes
- Rise of YouTubers and Tik Tok - Entertainment, Gossip, Politics, Education, How to
- Internet Money eBay
- Online trading, Drop shipping
- New education reforms Decrease the quality of and competitiveness in Education e.g.
- Grade 5 scholarship)
- People try to go abroad for education, jobs
Watch our YouTube video for full details.