Z score cut off එන්න ඉස්සර තේරුන විශ්ව විද්යාල පාඨමාලාව කියන්න පුලුවන් ද?
Answer to this question can be found in UGC student admission book, under frequently asked questions by students. Following is the FAQ that can be found in that book.
Is it possible to predict the course of study and the university to which a candidate will be assigned before releasing the cut off marks?
No. The cut off marks for courses of study/universities will be based on Z score, order of preference of candidates, number of places available in universities etc.
What are Minimum Z score cut off marks?
Each year, University Grants Commission (UGC) releases Z score minimum ‘Cut off’ for different courses of study at different Universities.
‘Cut off ’ marks for a given course of study will depend on the factors such as
- how well the candidates have performed at the G.C.E. (Advanced Level) examination in a given year,
- the demand for a particular course of study & the university and
- the number of seats available for the course of study.
Accordingly, ‘Cut off’ marks may vary from year to year depending on factors such as
- performance of students who have applied for that particular course of study for that year,
- total number of places offered by universities for that particular course of study, the population of each district etc.
- Sometimes, some students may not apply for university admission expecting to sit for the advanced level examination again. Also some students may apply for university admission but will not get registered for the course of study for which they have been selected because of change of mind.
Advice for student when applying for university courses
Therefore, when applying for university admission, students are strongly advised to apply for a maximum number of eligible courses of study with their preferences irrespective of their Z score and the previous years’ cut off marks.
You can use previous z score values only as a rough guideline.
Read more on this topic ..
- 2020 A/L- Apply University Admissions- UGC Academic Year 2020-2021
- How Z score is calculated for University selection in Sri Lanka
- How UGC selected 2019 A/L New and Old syllabus students – official clarification