After studying at School or University, you are now seeking for employment in a good company. Many young graduates and school leavers are not happy with their current work place so they keep on changing careers. Therefore, we list here some great places to work in Sri Lanka and what you should look for in selecting your future work place.
Great Places to Work in Sri Lanka
Great Place to Work Institute, Sri Lanka select Best Companies to Work For based on employee experience benchmarked with global practices. Organizations need to provide as much priority employees as they do to investors and customers.
The top 15 Best Companies to Work For, for 2016 selected by Great Places to Work Institute (in alphabetical order):
|Company||Industry and Number of Emplyees|
|99X Technology||Information Technology||144|
|AIA Insurance Lanka||Financial Services & Insurance | General Insurance||821|
|Asian Alliance Insurance||Financial Services & Insurance | General Insurance||459|
|Avery Dennison Lanka||Retail||629|
|Classic Travel||Professional Services | Travel Management||169|
|Diesel & Motor Engineering||Professional Services | Consulting Engineering||1,535|
|E-W Information Systems||Information Technology||285|
|Gamma-Pizzakraft Lanka||Hospitality | Food and Beverage Service||1,379|
|Hilton Worldwide||Hospitality | Hotel/Resort||993|
|IFS R&D International||Information Technology||751|
|JAT Holdings||Manufacturing & Production||340|
|Linea Aqua||Manufacturing & Production | Textiles and textile products||4,769|
|McLarens Holdings||Professional Services||769|
|MHE (Licensee of Federal Express)||Transportation||110|
|Oxford College of Business||Education & Training||54|
|Prime Lands||Construction & Real Estate||227|
|Singer (Sri Lanka)||Retail||1,616|
|Softlogic Restaurants (Burger King)||Hospitality | Food and Beverage Service||243|
|Taj Samudra Colombo||Hospitality | Hotel/Resort||629|
|Triumph International Lanka||Retail||76|
|Union Assurance||Financial Services & Insurance | General Insurance||452|
|United Tobacco Processing||Manufacturing & Production | Tobacco||2,048|
Read More at – http://www.greatplacetowork.lk/best-companies/sri-lankas-best-companies-to-work-for
According to Sunday Times that MAS Holdings, Unilever, Brandix or Nestle were not considered in the list of Sri Lanka’s Best companies to work, and None of the banks (HSBC, Standard Chartered, Commercial Bank, HNB, NDB or DFCC) were also on the list (of the first 15) in 2014.
What are the things you look for when selecting a great place to work?
According to a Research paper published by Dr. Bhadra J. H. Arachchige, Senior Lecturer in Department of Human Resources Management Faculty of Management and commerce, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, significant factors which attract Sri Lankan university graduates to potential employees are:
Salary, promotional opportunities, career development Aspects
An above average basic salary
Good promotion opportunities within the organization
Socially responsible organization
An attractive overall compensation package
Provides opportunity for better jobs in the future
Job security within the organization
Recognition from management and internal relationships
Recognition/appreciation from management
A fun working environment
Having a good relationship with your superiors and colleagues
Supportive and encouraging colleagues
Working in an exciting environment
Acceptance and belonging
Feeling good about yourself as a result of working for the organization
Gaining experience that will help your career
Innovative employer—new work practices and ideas
The organization values and makes use of your creativity
The organization produces high quality/ innovative products and services
Opportunity to apply what was learned
Opportunity to teach others what you have learned at university/ school
The organization is customer-oriented
Can gain experience in a range of departments
The following paper identifies the significant factors which attract Sri Lankan university graduates to potential employees, both on a general basis and for specific student segments. Drawing on the research results, eight dimensions of employer attractiveness are posited
Business Student Perceptions of a Preferred Employer: A Study Identifying Determinants of Employer Branding by Bhadra J H Arachchige and Alan Robertson
Attributes of a Truly Great Place to Work
Great employers must shift the focus from trying to get more out of people, to investing more in them by addressing their four core needs — physical, emotional, mental and spiritual — so they’re freed, fueled and inspired to bring the best of themselves to work every day.
Tony Schwartz points out The sort of company that he would work would have following things:
- Commit to paying every employee a living wage
- Design working environments that are safe, comfortable and appealing to work in. In offices, include a range of physical spaces that allow for privacy, collaboration, and simply hanging out.
- Provide healthy, high quality food, at the lowest possible prices, including in vending machines.
- Create places for employees to rest and renew during the course of the working day and encourage them to take intermittent breaks.
- Offer a well equipped gym and other facilities that encourage employees to move physically and stay fit.
- Treat employees as adults by giving them as much autonomy as possible to choose when they work, where they do their work, and how best to get it accomplished.
- Institute two-way performance reviews, so that employees not only receive regular feedback about how they’re doing, in ways that support their growth, but are also given the opportunity to provide feedback to their supervisors, anonymously if they so choose, to avoid recrimination.
- Hold leaders and managers accountable for treating all employees with respect and care, all of the time.
- Provide employees with ongoing opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow.
- Create products or provide services or serve causes that clearly add value in the world, making it possible for employees to derive a sense of meaning from their work, and to feel good about the companies for which they work.
How to find a job? A guide to school leavers after O/L & A/L
With a training I went to work for Softlogic. I had a very bad experience there. The people are not friendly and all are working under stress.
Hasitha K says
Experience in job interviews with a degree. ? ?
#Alumex PLC :- Many people have degrees. But do you have experience?
#heyles: Ahh are you from Campus? Those revolutionists? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
#Glaxo :- If you like Pharmecuticles, then why did you select this degree? However they were more sympathetic ✌️ ❤️ ? ✌️
#seri :- We know that this field is suitable for you. But without experience how can we accept you? !!! ? ? ? ? ? ?
So how can a graduate get an employment?
Do not go to work for supermarkets like keels. Ladies have to carry those heavy weights. You have to work in one shift from morning till late night until the super market closes.
Banks give good salary. But very stressful.