Updated on 7 February 2013
According to the latest Webometrics rankings issued in January 2012, following are the top 30 Universities in Sri Lanka. (Sri Lankan country rank and world rank is given here)
(1) 1447 University of Colombo
(2) 1909 University of Peradeniya
(3) 2794 University of Moratuwa
(4) 3078 University of Sri Jayewardenepura
(5) 4434 University of Kelaniya
(6) 4189 Open University of Sri Lanka
(7) 5071 University of Ruhuna
(8) 7940 University of Jaffna
(9) 8627 Sabaragamuwa University
(10) 9145 Rajarata University
(11) 9318 Institute of Engineering Technology
(12) 9771 Eastern University of Sri Lanka
(13) 11322 Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
(14) 11580 Arthur C Clarke Institute of Modern Technologies
(15) 11825 Sri Lanka Institute of Architects
(16) 11927 Wayamba University of Sri Lanka
(17) 12729 Uva Wellassa University
(18) 12878 National Institute of Education Sri Lanka
(19) 13181 Industrial Technology Institute
(20) 13553 Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology Sri Lanka
(21) 13800 Informatics Institute of Technology Sri Lanka
(22) 13832 Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture
(23) 13902 South Eastern University of Sri Lanka
(24) 13943 Institute of Fundamental Studies Sri Lanka
(25) 13994 Postgraduate Institute of Sciences
(26) 15195 General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University
(27) 16286 Sri Lanka Press Institute
(28) 16709 University of the Visual & Performing Arts
(29) 16885 Buddhist and Pali University
(30) 17275 Sri Lanka Institute of Advanced Technological Education
There are several ranking systems of World Universities.
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities is the largest classification of higher educations institutions, covering more than 17,000 universities worldwide.
Following are the top 15 Sri Lankan Universities according to Webometrics ranking in January 2011.
Sri Lankan Rank - World Rank - University
The aim of the Ranking is to improve the presence of the academic and research institutions on the Web and to promote the open access publication of scientific results. This is conducted by Cybermetrics Lab (CSIC) in Madrid, Spain and they publish Webometrics rankings on their site http://www.webometrics.info/ twice a year (January and July).
Webometrics ranking are based on four indicators:
1. Size (S). Number of pages recovered from four search engines
2. Visibility (V). Nnumber of external links (inlinks or site citations) to the site.
3. Rich Files (R). Volume of Adobe Acrobat (.pdf), Adobe PostScript (.ps), Microsoft Word (.doc) and Microsoft Powerpoint (.ppt) documents in the web site.
4. Scholar (Sc). Number of papers and citations in Google Scholar.
Times Higher Education Ranking System
There are other systems of ranking world universities. Times Higher Education, UK employ 13 separate performance indicators to capture the full range of university activities, from teaching to research to knowledge transfer.
These 13 elements are brought together into five headline categories, which are:
• Teaching — the learning environment (worth 30 per cent of the final ranking score)
• Research — volume, income and reputation (worth 30 per cent)
• Citations — research influence (worth 32.5 per cent)
• Industry income — innovation (worth just 2.5 per cent)
• International mix — staff and students (worth 5 per cent)
Quality of Universities and courses in Sri Lanka
Universities and Courses in Sri Lanka
Engineering and Physical Science Degree Courses
Science Degree Courses