Nurses care for the sick and help people stay well. Nursing is a healthcare profession focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities.
You can follow a Nursing course to become a nurse in Sri Lanka.
Some National Universities (Colombo, Sri Jayewardenepura) also offer BSc Nursing for those who qualified from GCE A/L examination.
There are two categories of course available:
1. Government nursing courses – Conducted by Ministry of Health
2. Private nursing institutions- Conducted by private private sector institutes
Government Nursing Course
In Sri Lanka, there are more than ten nursing academies. Some teaching schools are attached with government hospitals. They are called teaching hospitals. Nursing students have to follow a three year nursing course in these Schools. Both theoretical and clinical knowledge are provided during that period.
• Hmbanthota – 0472220261
• Kaluthara – 0342222264
• Ragama,Kadana – 0112959260
• Anuradhapura – 0252222536
• Badulla – 0552222532
• Galle – 0912234452
• Jaffna -0212222736
• Kandy – 0812222821
• Mulleriyawa – 0112256891
• National Nursing School, Sri Jayawardhanapura, Thalapathpitiya – 0112779487
• Batticalo – 0652222261
• Rathnapura - 0452222261
You can follow a course in Ayurveda Nursing also from a Government Nursing School
Private Nursing Training Institutes
There number of private training schools in Sri Lanka. Some training institutes obtained permission from tertiary and vocational educational commission. Training period vary acording to the authority. Normally it’s one year.
Particular qualified schools should get permission from provincial councils.
List of some Private Nursing Schools
• New Medicare (pvt) Nursing School
• Path Medical Academy, Nugegoda.
• Siyana Nursing School, Weyangoda.
• Pvt Nursing School Kurunegala.
• Meth Sewana Nursing School Kuliyapitiya.
• Co-Operative Nursing School, Galle.
Nursing Schools are also situated at Anuradhapura, Kandy(4), Rathmalana, Colombo and Rathnapura.
Become a Nurse – Follow Training at Ministry of Health Nursing School
Careers in Medical Sector
Ten things to consider when choosing a Foreign Medical degree
Courses you can do after Advanced Level
Open university of Sri Lanka
Find government jobs, courses from Government Gazette/