Sri Lanka Law College and Attorney at Law Entrance examination

careers, Courses, Institutes, Universities 117 8471

Easiest way to become a Lawyer in Sri Lanka is to enter Law College. Each year Sri Lanka Law College conducts an entrance Examination. You only need 3 A/L passes and 3 O/L Credit passes in English and Sinhala/Tamil to enter Law College and become a Lawyer.

Law Entrance is a competitive examination that admits about 1050 students to Law College.  A student who enters Law College has to sit 3 examinations at the end of the first 3 years at law College. Thereafter the student has to do practical training. He can then take oaths as an Attorney-at Law (Lawyer).

The Sri Lanka Law College has trained almost all the lawyers in Sri Lanka and it is the only gateway to the legal profession in the country.

Admissions

There are three main channels of admission to the College.

1 – Law Entrance Examination

Direct admission of those who qualify via Law Entrance Examination for admission. The minimum academic qualification recognised for admission is four passes in the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) Examination and credit passes in Sinhala/Tamil in the General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) Examination. The entrance examination is highly competitive and only a limited number gain admission on the results of this examination.

2 – Law Graduates from Other Universities

Admission of Law graduates of Sri Lankan and foreign Universities – LL.B (Bachelor of Laws) Degree holders from either the University of Colombo, Peradeniya, Jaffna or Open University of Sri Lanka can enter this way. These Law graduates need not sit the entrance examination and they are also exempted from taking the first and second year examinations. They only need to take the final examination at the Law College.

Graduates from foreign universities such as University of London LL.B degree holders can also enter to Law college and become a lawyer this way.

3 –  Members of the legal profession of commonwealth countries

The Attorneys at Law course at the Law College is of 3 years duration except for the law graduates as above referred to. On passing the final examination students have to undergo an apprenticeship of six months under a lawyer of at least 8 years standing and follow a practical training course conducted by the Law College with the assistance of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka and their senior members.

By this method, a British barrister can sit the final examination of Sri Lanka Law College and can enter the legal profession after completing the practical training and taking oaths.

Law Entrance Examination

The CLE (Council of Legal Education) conducts an entrance examination each year for eligible persons, for selection of students to Law College.

Entry Qualifications

The minimum educational qualifications to sit the Entrance Examination are as follows:-

(a) Three A/L passes (or 4 passes in old A/L)
(b) the subjects should be those approved by Council of Legal Education AND
(c) Credit passes in English Language AND Smhala/Tamil Language at the G.C.E (O/L) or N.C.G.E. Examination,
(d) Applicants should be not less than 17 years and not more than 30 years of age

This Entrance Examination is held only in Colombo.

Details of 2015 Acadmic Year Entrace

Law Entrance Examination Syllabus

At this examination the students are expected to do a two hour paper on “Background to the Law”. There are multiple choice questions, short answer type questions and comprehension exercises for this paper.

(a) Nature of Law – role and function of law in society;
(b) Sources of Law – evolution of the Legal system of Sri Lanka;
(c) Constitution – a general knowledge of the main features of the
Constitution of the Democratic socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and the powers and of the Legislature, Executive and the Judiciary;
(d) Current Socio-legal Issues – including functions, training and skills required of a lawyer.

The Brochure, the Application Form and the Course Book may be obtained from the College on payment of the requisite fee during the times specified in the Press advertisement announcing the acceptance of applications for the Entrance Examination, which is usually published in March/April of each year.

The Law College does not offer any courses to prepare students for the Entrance Examination, but there are classes conducted by different private institutes.

More Information
Sri Lanka Law College
244 Hulftsdorp Street, Colombo 12 P.O. Box Address. P.O. Box 1501, Colombo
Telephone # 94-1-473119, 323759. Fax: 94-1-385847 E – mail : <locwal@slt.lk>
For details visit Law College Official web site

Click here to submit your review.

Submit your review
* Required Field

Comments

comments

1. nayomi October 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm -  Reply

plz sir ,inform 2010 law entrance exam result?

2. tsc October 5, 2010 at 9:34 am -  Reply

Hi
    May I know, how I could sit for the law entrance if I dont have advanced levels?
    thanks

3. L kularathna October 4, 2010 at 3:40 pm -  Reply

Dear Sir,

I want to know age limit for the entrence examination and application call for the 2011 entrance exmination, Please inform me, Thank you very much.

4. sandun sanjeewa October 1, 2010 at 9:56 am -  Reply

now i’m 23 years& 2nd leftiuenenet of sl navy. i sat law exam 2008 & 2009. i want do it again 2011. inform me next exam.

5. S.S.Kodithuwakku September 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm -  Reply

Dear Friends,
    I took the recent passed law entrance examination(2010) and waiting for results with a little hope.Can anyone tell me, what was the cut off mark of last year?I would be pleased if you can mentioned consecutive cut off marks of last two or three years.I suppose some one would reply me.That is great help to me.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

6. Kamal September 20, 2010 at 12:09 am -  Reply

Sir, let me know when they release d entrance exam result
    My m.nu-773823890
    If any one knw let me knw plz

7. Srivasan September 20, 2010 at 12:02 am -  Reply

Please sir! Let me know when u’l release the entrance examination result
    Please sir, Reply me as soon as possible
    Thanks

• Hiran September 20, 2010 at 6:49 am -  Reply

@Kamal, Srivasan – Please note that this is not the official web site of Sri Lanka Law College, and we cannot say when they will release the results. Please call Law College for details.

8. Viraji September 16, 2010 at 10:28 am -  Reply

Dear sir,
    I sat for the law entrance examination on 2010. when will release the entrance results & I am 35 years if i not selected , this time . next year my age will problum to sit for law entrance examination. please help me . viraji

9. Madhu September 11, 2010 at 11:22 pm -  Reply

When will they release the entrance results?
    What will be the cutoff mark this year?

10. Kawshalya August 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm -  Reply

daer sir, i did my law entrance exam in this year (2010).can u pls tel me when will be the results out??

11. K.Elilarashi August 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm -  Reply

When will be next law entrance eamination. plz imform me

12. Elilarashi August 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm -  Reply

dear sir

i live in vavuniya, I like join law college.Can you help me

contact No 0777284502

13. rasvi August 10, 2010 at 10:27 am -  Reply

dear sir ,
    When will be next law entrance examination?

14. janaka August 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm -  Reply

Now im doing bachuler of general law (BGL),After i will finish,can i apply to lawcollege final examination.

15. janaka August 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm -  Reply

Are u take to indian bachuler of general law degree(BGL) in camaraj university,

16. P.K.Krishantha Gayanath August 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm -  Reply

Sir , I have no credite pass in English (O/L), But I have S Pass . So what can i do?

My T.P N: 0779713771

17. shema July 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm -  Reply

when will be law entrance examination in srilanka?

18. zahra July 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm -  Reply

i applied for the law entrance exam. when will be the law entrance exam?

19. P Rajeswary July 5, 2010 at 11:48 am -  Reply

Dear Sir,

I sat thae law entrance examination on 2002and second sat 2003.
    But unfortually I didnt selected.
    Now i lost my result. I go to abrod for higer education.
    How to collect my result

Thank you.

20. Dharani June 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm -  Reply

Sir !
    i did my A/L in commerce, but i liketo be LAWYER so i want to know ,wichway i have to go? what is the position i have to do? THANK YOU !

21. DILRUKSHIE June 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm -  Reply

Now i’m 38 yrs old.and i have not done A/L.But now i want to do law.so what can i do?if i’m doing A/L’S can i do?how?which subjects i have to choose?or if i’m coming through open univercity,what i have to do?

22. janaka mendis May 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm -  Reply

When is the law entrance registration? let me know soon my tel:0114967434

23. dilusha wimarshana May 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm -  Reply

When will be next law entrance examination?

• Hiran May 6, 2010 at 6:32 am -  Reply

Call Law college to get details on next examination 94-1-473119, 323759

24. lahiru April 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm -  Reply

When will be next law entrance examination?

25. Kumarasinghe April 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm -  Reply

Becamin a lawyer seems to be a good carreer option. Thanks for sharing info.

1 2 3 5