Courses you can do after Advanced Level

accounting, Computing, course, Courses, Engineering, featured, IT, Universities, university 172 1753

(Post updated on 14 March 2013)

1. Do A/L Again

- Firstly, of course you can do A Level again, If you did not work hard for the first time. Check A/L Classes

2. National Universities -

If you are sure about your exam results, then await for results to enter into Sri Lankan Public University system, which offer excellent degrees at no cost. You can also enter Kothalawala Defense University, Marine University etc.

3. Management – Accounting, HR or Marketing

Or you can follow courses to get Professional Qualifications.

Popular options in this category includes Management, Accounting, Marketing and Information Technology courses.

Popular Accounting courses are Chartered Accounting, CIMA, ACCA and AAT. Business Management, Marketing and Human Resource Management courses are offered by institutes such as NIBM, BSc Business Administration External degree at University of Sri Jayewardenepura, CIMA, CIM, PIM and many other by Private Institutes.

4. IT – Information Technology and Computing

Computing and information Technology courses are offered by SLIITNIBM, APIIT, Informatics, IDM, ESOFT and many other Private Institutes.  There are professional degrees in IT such as BCS/ ACS/ NCC.

5. Engineering

There are many private engineering degree offering insitutes.

How to select Private Engineering degree course in Sri Lanka

IESL Engineering Course

Mechatronics Engineering courses, degrees in Sri Lanka

Fisheries and Nautical Engineering

Marine or Aerospace Engineering degrees in Sri Lanka

6. Science and Medicine-

If you want to continue your classical subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Economics etc. you can register into Open University degree programs. Open University degrees are also well recognized and this is a low cost option to expensive foreign degree programs. Graduate-ship programs of Institute of Chemistry is also very popular among science students.

If you are looking for a career in Medical Sector, then you can follow Nursing, Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT),  Physiotherapy or Pharmacology Courses

Foreign Medical degree courses

7. Study Abroad -

If you have money you can go to a country like USA, UK, Australia, Russia, and India and get a foreign degree. Many students follow Foreign Medical degree courses in Nepal, Russia, Bangladesh, China, India etc. British council offers advice for courses in UK, and Fulbright Scholarship Commission (Close to Ladies College, Colombo) offers advice on courses in USA.

8. Private Degrees -

There are also several Private Institutes now in Sri Lanka which are affiliated to Foreign Universities, who offer degree (B.Sc. and other) programs in Sri Lanka. With these institutes you can get degrees in various subjects including Management, IT, Engineering, Health Sciences, Natural, Applied and Pure Sciences.

9. External/ Online Degrees -

You can follow an external degree (such as Science, Arts, Business Management or BIT), and now there are Online degree programs offered by several Sri Lankan and foreign universities.

10. Technical and Other courses -

There are other free higher education courses such as Kotalawela defense university, Technical Colleges, National Colleges of Education (Vidya Peeta) and Agriculture Diplomas.

11. Law -

Last but not least, you can do law entrance examination and enter Law college to become a Lawyer.

12. Travel ,Tourism, Aviation, Architecture,

Sri Lanka Institute of Travel and Tourism Management (Hotel School)

Media etc. There are many other career options you can select after A/L.

Recent articles on Courses

Comments

comments

Hiran

University Senior Lecturer at University of Sri Jayewardenepra, Sri Lanka

1. imza azmy September 5, 2014 at 8:16 am -

Dear sir/ madam
    I got 6A and 3B for my O/L in 2011.and sir I did my A/L this year in bio stream and awaiting for my result..will you please let me know about the courses available at open university of polgolla related to science feild.

2. Aisha August 30, 2014 at 7:25 pm -

Dear respectable sir/Madam,

I done o/l ‘s in 2008.I have 3 credits for Maths,sinhala,english subjects.for other subjects i have “s” passes.but the mean time that maths subject i was done again because, in 2008 o/l exam I have “w” mark for maths subject.so I done it again and got a “c” pass for maths.after that I done the a/l in 2012 from commerce stream.but I was down these 3 subjects(economics,Accountancy,Business studies). So now i’m confuse to do what kind of courses. Please advise me

3. Saad Ahamad July 16, 2014 at 8:52 pm -

please let me know, the required qualification for a government school teacher in Srilanka?

4. fahir June 25, 2014 at 6:09 am -

dear sir please sir i want to know that i was study advance level in 2009 but unforthunally i did not complete this so i did not apply for the examination by my school but now i would like to write a examination can i ?even private please.

5. Hiran April 8, 2014 at 10:03 pm -

To enter state Medical Faculty you must do Biology-PHY-Chemistry

6. yagi April 8, 2014 at 9:52 am -

Dear respected sir,

I just completed my o/l in this year(2014).i’m confused to choose my subjects in a/l.I have two choices as commerce and biology.if I continues commerce in a/l can I do science in London a/l.if we does London a/l can we obtain medicine field in srilanka(government hospitals).otherwise if I choosed science stream in a/l (local) unfortunately if I got low results can I enter into private universities in medicine field?what will be the earning if I enters in science or in commerce stream in my futher? Can u give me a best choice to be choosed in a/l?I’m bit confused please help me sir………..

7. Hiran December 25, 2013 at 7:28 am -

University entry only depends on your A/L z scores.

8. Chathuranga December 24, 2013 at 10:40 pm -

Dear Sir,

I have passed this year A/L exam in biology stream.
    And I’m following Computer Applications In Business certificate course offered by IHRA.
    Please let me know whether I’d be unqualified to enter a gov. university as I’m following the above course.

Thank you.

9. saranga December 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm -

dear sir..

i,m an engineering student in university of peradeniya..i want to develop my english knowledge …what is the best english course for me sir..

10. N.M.ANAS December 22, 2013 at 10:26 am -

i am N.M.ANAS
    i am a 2013 a/l student my a/l result is 1c2s.
    economic S
    political C
    agriculture technology S

what i will do in my education life in future ?
    do you have any answer you contect me

my email nmanassrilanka@gmail.com
    phone no 0752388962 / 0771260589
    my mother language tamil language

11. sajam November 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm -

I am looking good course. I sat A/L maths stream in last year…. please inform me

12. sashya August 3, 2013 at 11:19 am -

dear sir/madam
    i’m currently doing my a/ls in bio stream but i want to give it up and do an architectural course, i’ve got 7As B for ICT n C for literature in my o/ls, i want to know whether CSA is taking students with such entry qualifications

13. Priya March 31, 2013 at 11:39 pm -

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I’m Priya from colombo-09. i did A/L in commerce stream in 2010. i have 3 S passes. i have passed in my O/L exam with 2A,B,5C,2S. including with C mathes & english. i like to become a maths teacher.
    so if u tell what should i do to make success my life.
    ur cooperation is very use full in my future.

Thanking u