According to the latest (2016) Central Bank (CB) Report, the number of undergraduates study in state government National Universities are 86,061 in 2016. This figure was 83,778 in 2015.
The number of new students admitted to State universities increased to 28,952 in 2016, from 25,676 in 2015, the latest Central Bank (CB) Report revealed.
9 new Faculties, 34 new Departments and 3 new Centers were established within the State universities in 2016.
The University Grants Commission also approved 38 undergraduate Degree programmes and 15 postgraduate Degree programmes during the period.
Government Higher Educational Institutes and National Universities
The UGC selects students for admission to undergraduate courses in the following Higher Educational Institutions [fourteen (14) National Universities, three (3) Campuses and five (05) Institutes] which have been set up under the Universities Act:
- University of Colombo
- University of Peradeniya
- University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- University of Kelaniya
- University of Moratuwa
- University of Jaffna
- University of Ruhuna
- Eastern University, Sri Lanka
- South Eastern University of Sri Lanka
- Rajarata University of Sri Lanka
- Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- Wayamba University of Sri Lanka
- Uva Wellassa University of Sri Lanka
- University of the Visual & Performing Arts
- Sripalee Campus
- Trincomalee Campus
- Vavuniya Campus
- Institute of Indigenous Medicine
- Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute
- University of Colombo School of Computing
- Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies, Eastern University, Sri Lanka
- Ramanathan Academy of Fine Arts, University of Jaffna
Private Campuses/ Higher Educational Institutes
The Govt has taken measures to allow the private sector to establish Non- State Higher Education Institutes ( NSHEI) or Private Universities.
Meanwhile, the number of NVQ Certificates issued has also increased from 44,148 in 2015, to 47,017 in 2016. Of these NVQ certificates, 17,517 were issued by the Vocational Training Authority.