Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute, affiliated to the University of Kelaniya, has been now upgraded to a University. It is now called Gampaha Wickramarachchi University of Indigenous Medicine. It is one of the two Universities that offer degrees in Ayurveda and Indigenous Medicine in Sri Lanka.
The Institute has its origin in the well-known Gampaha Sidayurveda Vidyalaya founded by Ayurveda Pandit G. P. Wickramarachchi in 1929, as a centre of learning Siddayurveda tradition of medicine.
It offers undergraduate, certificate, diploma and postgraduate degrees.
Masters degree programs:
Master of Science in Management and Administration of Ayurveda Institutions
Postgraduate Diploma in Management and Administration of Ayurveda Institutions
From 2021 Eight degree programs are offered:
Faculty of Indigenous Medicine
1. Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) degree is a six year course including one year internship training in state hospitals. Further the institute provides the facility for Ayurveda graduates to upgrade their administrative capabilities by conducting Postgraduate Diploma in Hospital Management.
Faculty of Social Sciences and Management Studies
2. Bachelor of Science Honours in Social Studies of Indigenous Knowledge
Faculty of Indigenous Health Sciences and Technology
3. Bachelor of Science Honours in Yoga and Parapsychology
4. Bachelor of Science Honours in Health Tourism and Hospitality Management
Department of Technology
5. Bachelor of Health Science Honours in Biomedical Technology
6. Bachelor of Health Science Honours in Information and Communication Technology
7. Bachelor of Science Honours in Indigenous Medicinal Resources
8. Bachelor of Health Science Honours in Indigenous Pharmaceutical Technology
For more details contact:
Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute
University of Kelaniya, Kandy Road, Yakkala,
Tel 033-2222748, 2222740, 033 3340101
Fax 033-2222739,033 2226618, 033 2223784, 033 222378
Email - [email protected]
Web - https://gwu.ac.lk/
(Other Government Institute offering Ayurveda Degrees in Sri Lanka - The Institute of Indigenous Medicine (IIM) of University of Colombo https://studentlanka.com/2013/02/05/institute-of-indigenous-medicine-iim/)