The Ministry of Education has taken measures to introduce a new subject stream to GCE A/L syllabus. This subject stream is introduced to provide 13-year continuous education for all students, disregarding their performances at the GCE O/L exam.
The project will be implemented as a pilot project from 2017 October and by 2019 the project will cover the entire school year.
This stream is referred as the Professional Curriculum, which consists two parts as General Curriculum and Applied Curriculum.
General curriculum will cover nine main subjects and it is compulsory to complete this subject stream within the first six months of the academic year.
The General Curriculum subjects are as follows;
- First Language (Sinhala or Tamil)
- Applied English and Communication Skills Development
- Aesthetics and related skills
- Information and Communication Technology skills
- Citizenship Education and related skills
- Health and life skills necessary for social well-being
- Entrepreneurship skills
- Sports and other related activities
- Career guidance programs
The intention of this Common Curriculum stream is to assure the personality and other basic skills necessary for the practical workings of the students.
Thereafter, students will be allowed to choose one subject from the Applied Curriculum stream which will be completed during the remaining 18 months of the academic year.
Applied Curriculum subjects are as follows;
- Child Psychology and care
- Health and Social Care
- Physical Education ad Sports
- Performing Arts
- Event Management
- Arts and Crafts
- Interior Designing
- Fashion Designing
- Graphic Designing
- Art and Designing
- Applied Horticultural Studies
- Livestock Product Studies
- Food Processing Studies
- Aquatic Resource Studies
- Plantation Product Studies
- Construction Studies
- Automobile Studies
- Electrical and Electronic Studies
- Textile and Apparel Studies
- Metal Fabrication Studies
- Aluminum Fabrication Studies
- Software Development
- Web Development
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Environmental Studies
Read this to find What to do after O/L Examination?