Sri Lankans will be able to enjoy free Wifi internet access with up to 100 MB of usage at selected 26 public locations across the island from Monday(30), Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
It said that the service would be expanded up to 1000 public spaces across the island by the end of August.
The ministry said that it had not established any restrictions on the free Wifi service.
“At the beginning there will be no barriers for the Wifi users, but after analysing the service with the time, our technicians will take necessary technological methods to control the service,” the ministry sources said.
26 public locations that will have free WiFi access are:
- Fort Railway Station,
- Colombo Pettah Public stand
- Colombo Pettah Private Bus Stand,
- the Temple of the Tooth Kandy,
- Floating Market in Pettah,
- Colombo Law College,
- Colombo Public Library,
- Dehiwala Zoo,
- Colombo Race-course,
- Colombo Police Head Quarters,
- Galle Railway Station,
- Jaffna Railway Station,
- Fort Dutch Hospital,
- Galle Face Colombo,
- Battaramulla Foreign Employment Bureau,
- Colombo Museum,
- Karapitiya Hospital,
- Ratnapura Museum,
- Polonnaruwa Base Hospital,
- Matara Bus Stand,
- Polonnaruwa Railway Station,
- Matara Railway Station,
- Mirijjawila Botanical Garden,
- Jaffna Public Library,
- Kandy Railway Station
- Peradeniya Railway Station.
The Internet connectivity a citizens right programme also known as the “Free Wi-Fi” was spearheaded by the ICTA along with the support of all telecommunication operators in Sri Lanka.