[sws_green_box box_size=”480″]Note: This article is on the older version of University Rankings. For information on newer (2013 January) Ranking, please visit here.[/sws_green_box]
Updated on 7 February 2013
According to the latest Webometrics rankings issued in July 2012, top 30 Universities in Sri Lanka are given below. Compared to last ranking issued in 2012 January, world ranking of some Sri Lankan universities were improved: University of Sri Jayewardenepura (from 3078 to 2759), Kelaniya, Ruhuna, Jaffna and Rajarata. However world ranking of some universities decreased slightly: University of Colombo (from 1447 to 1682), Moratuwa and Peradeniya, which may be due to the change in assessment method of university rankings.
Sri Lankan Universities according to country rank and World rank:
(1) 1682 University of Colombo
(2) 2011 University of Moratuwa
(3) 2467 University of Peradeniya
(4) 2759 University of Sri Jayewardenepura
(5) 3294 University of Kelaniya
(6) 3294 University of Ruhuna
(7) 5664 University of Jaffna
(8) 5884 Open University of Sri Lanka
(9) 6228 Rajarata University
(10) 9868 Sabaragamuwa University
(11) 10546 Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
(12) 11092 Institute of Engineering Technology
(13) 12322 Eastern University of Sri Lanka
(14) 12355 Wayamba University of Sri Lanka
(15) 12566 Uva Wellassa University
(16) 12596 Arthur C Clarke Institute of Modern Technologies
(17) 12895 National Institute of Education Sri Lanka
(18) 13065 Sri Lanka Institute of Architects
(19) 13558 Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology Sri Lanka
(20) 14621 Industrial Technology Institute
(21) 14931 Institute of Fundamental Studies Sri Lanka
(22) 15255 Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture
(23) 15331 Informatics Institute of Technology Sri Lanka
(24) 15694 Postgraduate Institute of Sciences
(25) 15833 General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University
(26) 16005 South Eastern University of Sri Lanka
(27) 17068 Buddhist and Pali University
(28) 17515 Sri Lanka Press Institute
(29) 17566 University of the Visual & Performing Arts
(30) 17736 Sri Lanka Institute of Advanced Technological Education
There are several ranking systems of World Universities, however Webomaerics ranking is the most widespread ranking system available today.
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities is the largest classification of higher educations institutions, covering more than 17,000 universities worldwide.
Ranking method was changed for latest 2012 July edition, and not it is based on Openness and Excellence. Figures are presented according to four indicators:
PRESENCE (20%). – Number of web pages published on the university webdomains as indexed by the largest commercial search engine (Google).
IMPACT (50%). The quality of the contents is evaluated through a “virtual referendum”, counting all the external inlinks that the University webdomain receives from third parties. The link visibility data is collected from the two most important providers of this information: Majestic SEO and ahrefs.
OPENNESS (15%). The global effort to set up institutional research repositories is explicitly recognized in this indicator that takes into account the number of rich files (pdf, doc, docx, ppt) published in dedicated websites according to the academic search engine Google Scholar. .
EXCELLENCE (15%). The academic papers published in high impact international journals are playing a very important role in the ranking of Universities.