Subject Combinations for A/L Arts Students

Courses, Schools 30 55229

For GCE Advanced Level examination, you can select three (3) subjects from within five (5) main subject streams namely Arts, Commerce, Biological Science, Physical Science or Technology. You also have to sit for General English and Common General Test for their A/L examination, but results of these papers are not considered for University entrance. But those results will also be included in the A/L exam results sheet.

Subjects available for A/L Arts Stream

Art stream is the most popular subject area among the Sri Lankan students. You have more than twenty five (25) subjects in four different subject areas (Social Sciences, Religious and Civilization, Aesthetics and Languages) for the A/L in Art steam.
al-arts-stream-subjects
As an art student you can select subjects from any one of the following areas.

Social Science Subjects

At least one subject from Social Science (Economics, Geography, History (Sri Lankan history and Indian history or European history or World history), Home Economics, Political Sciences, Logic and Scientific method, Accounting or Business Statistics, Agriculture or mathematics, One subject from Technological studies (Civil/Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic and information Technology or Food technology or Agro technology or Bio-Resource Technology), Communication and Mass media, Information and Communicational Technology) you should select. This statement is not valid for those who are following two or three language subjects. If you wish you can select your all three subjects among this Social Science category.

Religious and Civilizational Subjects

Buddhism or Buddhist Civilization, Christianity or Christian Culture, Hinduism or Hindu Civilization, Islam or Islam Civilization and Greek & Roman Civilization are the subjects available in this category. If you select one religious subject from this category, then you cannot select its civilizational subjects. For example, If f you select Buddhism, you cannot select Buddhist civilization

Aesthetic Subjects

Art, Dancing (Sri Lankan or Indian), Music (Oriental Music or Carnatic or Western) and Drama and Theatre (Sinhala, English or Tamil) are the subjects offered in this category. From these aesthetic subjects you can select one or two subjects you prefer.

Language Subjects

The new Educational Reforms have encouraged the students to learn International Languages. Language subjects are offered in three different categories. First as National languages (Sinhala,Tamil,English), Classical Languages (Arabic, Pali, Sanskrit) and Foreign Languages(Chinese, Malay, French, Russian, Hindi, Japanese). You can select one or two language subjects from above list and if you want to study three languages for your A/L, the selection should be as follows.

• Sinhala,Tamil,English
  • Any three subjects representing National languages and Classical Languages

For example you can select Sinhala, Pali and Sanskrit

If you select two language subjects, you will be able to select one subject from Social Sciences /Religious and Civilizational /aesthetic as your third subject. For example you can select English, Japaneese and Electronic and information Technology.

However some subjects may not be available at your school. Having better understanding on available courses in national Universities will be an added advantage for selecting a subject combination. As vast array of subjects are available, you can take up innovative and novel subject combinations in keeping with worldwide trends. For example you can select a combination with Mathematics, IT and Economics.

Download Ministry of Education Circular on A/L subject combinations:

Download relevant circular from Ministry of Higher Education website – GCE Advanced Level Subject Options and Subject combinations for Selection to University Degree Programs
al-subject-combiation-education-ministry-circular

You may also like to read:

Comments

comments

1. Tharik April 3, 2017 at 8:39 pm -  Reply

I want to become a lawyer can u pls recommend the subjects which has a low z score for me to do for my al

2. Nathasha April 2, 2017 at 7:08 pm -  Reply

Is it possible to do ICT, french and economics??

3. cham April 2, 2017 at 11:54 am -  Reply

Sir/Ma’am,
    I wish to do english literature, economics and statistics for my A/L.Is this combination possible and moreover good?

4. Kushani April 1, 2017 at 2:34 pm -  Reply

Dear sir,I did o/l exam in 2016.I like to be a lawyer.what are the subjects?sir,plz tell me about this and how I select for law college?

5. Madushika April 1, 2017 at 11:16 am -  Reply

Dear sir, my younger brother wish to do political ,economics and Japanese.. I want to know about his choice? Are those subjects matching or not? What are the best clzes for them in gampaha..

6. M.R.Sumeiha March 31, 2017 at 9:44 pm -  Reply

Dear sir/ mam, now im 24 years old and im married can i do A/L now and im intrsted to do language subjects please i need your kind guidence.

7. shafraz March 29, 2017 at 4:27 pm -  Reply

can i do islam ict and English

8. shafraz March 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm -  Reply

good afternoon. .. please can someone tell me whether can i do ict islam and English

9. Midha Farook March 28, 2017 at 12:03 pm -  Reply

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Can you please reccomend me some of the best English medium Arts stream A/L classes in Sri lanka?
    And is English Literature not a subject in A/Ls?

10. Dulandara Athukorals February 25, 2017 at 10:10 am -  Reply

Dear,sir/madam
    I’d like to know what are the subjects i should do for my A/l’s if i want to be a lawyer???

• Hiran March 9, 2017 at 8:40 pm -  Reply

Select any three subjects. You need to get higher Z score to get into law faculty.

11. Nirodha Karunarathne January 24, 2017 at 5:35 pm -  Reply

My daughter is will to study Mass media, Chinese, Japanese, is it possible

12. Susannah fernando January 21, 2017 at 6:49 pm -  Reply

My daughter is interested in Singing and drama and also likes cooking. Please can advise as to which subjects she should be taking for A/Long
    Thanks

13. shafna January 20, 2017 at 10:05 am -  Reply

Dear sir…
    I’m 2017 batch a.l arts stream students… I need paper classes and revision classes in colombo…. May I know where I could find the classes for bellow subjects in tamil medium.
    Political Science
    Tamil
    Indian and Srilankan history

14. Danidu wickramaarachchi January 11, 2017 at 4:50 pm -  Reply

Dear sir my aim is to be a lawyer. I want to select the arts stream could u suggest me some subjects with low z score?

• Hiran January 12, 2017 at 6:45 am -  Reply

To get into Law faculty you need Higher Z score.

15. Hashini January 6, 2017 at 4:04 pm -  Reply

Dear sir,i want to be a software engineer.but i don’t know which subjects I do for my A/L.please tell me .

16. Nilan January 3, 2017 at 2:59 pm -  Reply

Dear sir/ Madam
    I like to be an Architect .So what are the subjects should I follow ?For my A/L’S . (Art steam)

17. fazool January 2, 2017 at 9:39 am -  Reply

dear sir i want to become a lawyer but in our school there is no more subjects what i want to do and what are the subjects? i want to select?

18. Kalani December 30, 2016 at 7:45 am -  Reply

Dear sir,
    I want to become a music lecturer but I have no idea about the subjects that I should choose along with western music to achieve my target.so could you pleas help me in with this.

19. Bhashini November 14, 2016 at 2:17 pm -  Reply

I do al in art stream. lawyer ,embasian and lecture one of job i do in future.i do it,french,geography.in do these subject i can reach my gole or diffult?plz can tell me my my subects are match or not matching?

20. Nisansala October 16, 2016 at 12:22 pm -  Reply

Dear sir/madam,
    What are the uses of doing advance level in Japanese ,english,French.what kind of job may I have ? If can I go to the sri Lankan university?

• Imesha January 25, 2017 at 9:05 am -  Reply

Dear sir/ma’am i would like to know that what subjects should i do to become a ambassador after A/L

21. Nisansala October 16, 2016 at 12:12 pm -  Reply

Kanpperera @gmail.com

22. Dulandara Athukorala August 8, 2016 at 7:51 pm -  Reply

Dear sir, I need to become a lawyer.What are the subjects that are essential in A/l to become a lawyer

23. Gayani prasangi July 23, 2016 at 11:00 am -  Reply

Dear sir, i want to know the courses that i can follow in university if i select sinhala, tamil and media as my a/l subjects…

24. Ramindu June 16, 2016 at 12:36 pm -  Reply

dear sir , i want to become a lawyer…. but i haven’t a choice which subject i can choose …. i think to do logic , sinhala & ICT … can i enter to the law college doing that subjects ?

1 2