Higher Education Choices for 18+ (after GCE AL) in Sri Lanka and aborad

Courses, Schools, study abroad, Universities 54 3018

Doing A Level again?

A/L Is the most difficult exam in the education system of Sri Lanka. Therefore, if you did not work hard for the first time, you may like to sit for the A/L again. Remember good A/L results are important for all higher education degree programs, and also to get a good employment.

Government Universities

Sri Lankan Government Universities offer excellent degrees at no cost. Sri Lankan National University system consists of 12 universities. These are Universities of Colombo, Peradeniya, Sri Jayewardenpura, Kelaniya, Moratuwa, Jaffna, Ruhuna, Eastern, Rajarata, Wayamba, Sabaragamuwa and South Eastern University. It also contains two institutes: Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute and
Institute of Indigenous Medicine.

Open University of Sri Lanka

Open University degrees are also well recognized in Sri Lanka and abroad. By following a degree program here, you can get a well recognized degree at a low cost.

You can follow Open University degree program as a part-time program, while working. It offers three subject degree programs in subjects such as Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Economics etc. you can register into Open University degree programs.

Private Institutes for Higher Education

Many private institutes provide higher education for those who are not admitted to universities.There are foundation courses for those who are passed O/L to study further up to diploma level or degree level. Degrees are awarded by foreign universities.

Educational & Training Institutes

You can follow courses in various institutes to get Professional Qualifications. These courses can be categorized into following fields:

Accountancy –

Creative Arts & Mass Communication
Languages
Medicine & Health Science
Sciences
Teacher Training

Foreign Degree awarding institues in Sri Lanka

There are also several Private Institutes now in Sri Lanka which are affiliated to Foreign Universities, who offer degree (B.Sc. and other) programs in Sri Lanka. With these institutes you can get degrees in various subjects including Management, IT, Health Sciences, Natural, Applied and Pure Sciences.

Foreign Degrees

If you have money you can go to a country like USA, UK, Australia, Russia, and India and get a foreign degree. Most students follow Medical degree courses in this way. British council offers advice for courses in UK, and Fulbright Scholarship Commission (Close to Ladies College, Colombo) offers advice on courses in USA.
Goto Student Lanka Course finder for more study options.

Courses you can do after A/Level

National Institute of Business Management-NIBM

Sri Lanka School of Agriculture – Diplomas

CIMA – a quick guide

External Degrees In Sri Lanka
Online-degrees AND Online courses in Sri Lanka
Jobs and vocational training from Job Bank
Sri Lanka Law College
Degree -John Kotelawala Defence University Academy
Technical and Vocational Training – Degrees, Diplomas and certificates

<a href=”http://studentlanka.com/2010/02/03/cima-chartered-institute-of-management-accountants-course-in-sri-lanka-a-quick-guide/”>CIMA – a quick guide</a>

Click here to submit your review.

Submit your review
* Required Field

Comments

comments

1. K.madushanka February 8, 2014 at 6:49 pm -  Reply

My a/l 2013 result bio C ,chem C ,phy C ….what is the sutable course for my result

2. Sumali Sumithrarachchi May 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm -  Reply

How can I sit for London Al’s after completing Local AlL’s Biology Stream

• Hiran May 2, 2011 at 6:26 am -  Reply

Sumali= You can do London A/L at anytime.

3. Hamza January 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm -  Reply

Can i have any information about Automobile designing degrees like stuff?you know…something like that… plz reply.

4. Name December 12, 2010 at 6:52 am -  Reply

Dear sir,
    It’ll be much appreciated if you could give me your contact(phone) number,so I could contact you for immediate advice (if you don’t mind me annoying), because it’s very urgent to make the best decision.
    My phone numbers-
    0758855972
    0716933942
    0728905349

My e-mail-
    dhanusaku@gmail.com

(If you can contact me by phone, it’ll be very easier)
    Thank u very much.
    -Dhanushka

5. Name December 12, 2010 at 6:42 am -  Reply

Dear sir, i’m the one who commented as ‘name’.
    I’m doing the b.sc(b.ad) degree in university of j’pura, externally. Therefore, could u please tell me what to do? Is the pass rate of external degree is very low?- I heard that from someone. Please help me. I’m Dhanushka. Thank u.

6. dangalla December 11, 2010 at 10:25 am -  Reply

dear sir
    thanks for giving valuble infomation for us .it will helpful for my managemet mini project.

Dangalla

7. Name December 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm -  Reply

This site is very good considering the other garbage sites in Sri Lanka.
    And yeah, I have a big question to ask from all of u.
    I did A/Ls this time in commerce stream & got B,C,C as the result. I’m following the business administration degree already (external).
    What would be the best decision I could make?
    Doing A/Ls and going to the university?
    Or
    Continueing this external degree?
    Please help me friends.
    Please help me, Hiran sir..

• Hiran December 10, 2010 at 11:32 pm -  Reply

Name: Thanks for your encouraging comments on this web site.
      Doing A/L again or external degree is your personnel choice. But if you are doing a “good: external degree, I think it would be better to continue it, and work hard to get you degree soon.

8. senali October 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm -  Reply

Im a student right after my london A/Ls.I want to do a degree in relavant to the IT sector.So what I thought of doing is BCS (british computer society) .is it worth doing BCS (professional qualification) or is it better doing a degree ( to gain an academic qualification) straightway ?if doin a degree is better what is the best degree I can follow ? Part time degree is prefferd. and if its a foreign degree it great ! please send me an email to this e mail address ( tyro7575@yahoo.com) I need some serious advice .thank you !

9. Janaka June 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm -  Reply

What about SLIM for marketing study……?Is it recognize in abroad….?

10. Gayan April 7, 2010 at 11:37 am -  Reply

dear sir.
    i did my A/l s in bio subjects in 2008,but i got 3 f.because of some problems.i did nt do the 2nd shy. but i have good O\L results.i cant do the A/L s again.now im doing HRM.is it good sir?and i like to be a pilot.can i be a pilot without my A/L s?what are the good courses can i do from my O/L s?im from wattala.please help me sir

• Hiran April 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm -  Reply

HRM is good. To become a Pilot you can join one of the Private institutes in Sri Lanka, But cost may be high.

11. Madusha March 3, 2010 at 7:56 pm -  Reply

Hi
    my sister is sitting for London O/L exam in this year and my family is at the moment planning for her future. And I got this fabulous website for information. So can i know the best option for her, either continue A/L or start from certificate course of a degree? If so what is the best degree she can enroll as a commerce stream student.
    Thank You!!

• Hiran March 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm -  Reply

Madusha Do O/L first.

12. Christiene – Negombo January 11, 2010 at 9:41 pm -  Reply

13. Christiene – Negombo January 10, 2010 at 7:30 pm -  Reply

Dear sir,
    I sat for A/L Exam twice,first time I was not success.second shy I got “s” for Physics “B” for Western Music and “F” for combined maths. My ambition is to be a Western Music teacher/professional. but I think my result are not acceptable for a National School. How can I reach my target? I wish to follow any teacher training External Degree without A/L qualification. please let me know about the Degree. If fails advise me of any other opportunity. Please do not let me down. Thank you. May God Bless You. Christiene

• Hiran January 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm -  Reply

Christiene, Try Open University. They have degree courses for those who do not have A/L

14. Janani September 17, 2009 at 6:00 pm -  Reply

I’m a student did A/L 2009 in Bio .Now I’m waiting for my results.I have 1 year before going to university.I like to study bio related course.Can you please tell me a good institute to study a course.

• Hiran September 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm -  Reply

Bio related courses: Agriculture courses, Health sector courses like Nursing, Pharmacy. Genetic engineering course at Gene Tech, Kithulwatta road, Borella

15. ruksha August 26, 2009 at 11:58 am -  Reply

i did local a/ls & iv got 2 options:
    1 doing london a/l in 9 months
    2 joining a foreign college
    from the above which one will be better and why?

16. shani July 4, 2009 at 9:20 am -  Reply

I did A\L s. I got A for accounts, B for business studies and B for economics. I want to know about good courses in sri lanka. thank you

17. Chathurika April 24, 2009 at 7:44 am -  Reply

I just finished my MBBS in Sri Lanka.I would like to get advise for a post graduate education regarding opthlmology.
    hank you!

18. KALANA April 21, 2009 at 12:37 pm -  Reply

Hi,I am from the PIBM (post graduate institute of Business Mangement)at COLOMBO 07,WE are offering
    DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES